As most of you have heard, John and I evacuated for Hurricane Ike on Thursday morning. We come to Wichita, KS and have been staying with my parents. We boarded up our windows and covered most of the electronics and books with plastic to prevent water damage. It has been an emotional roller coaster waiting to get back into Galveston, waiting on word from UTMB, and waiting to hear how our house survived. We have registered with FEMA as evacuees and are now receiving benefits from them. Today, we move to a hotel in Wichita that we can stay at long term until the island is open again. We also found out today that our house has about 18 inches of water inside of it. A friend of ours was able to get inside and survey the damage. We are happy that the house is standing and some things may be salvageable.
Here we are in our new home with all of the belongings we brought with us.We plan to enjoy our time with family and friends. We are headed out to California to see John's parents over the weekend and then we will be back to Wichita indefintely. We are grateful to God for the wisdom to make decisions in a timely manner and well. He has answered several prayers:
-We evacuated with plenty of time,
-Our friend was able to find the key to our house and get in to look at it,
-Our house is standing and some items should be salvageable,
-We were able to see family that we had been trying to plan a vacation to see,
-We have been provided with free housing for the time being,
-John's sample for research and his building were unharmed
-Family and friends have been very supportive- taking us to dinner, giving us space when needed, talking us through scenarios, and giving gifts and prayers.
We are still concerned about what UTMB will do with us in the future. The PA program has talked about moving us to San Antonio for courses, but John's PhD program has decided to stay in Galveston. We would rather not have to make a tough decision about careers or live apart. Also, we are unsure that our house will be livable or that our landlord will allow us to continue living there while they repair it. In which case, it may be difficult to find housing. Thanks to all the people who have called and emailed. It is nice to know that you care.